2021 "Weird Al" Yankovic - Headline News

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2a/Headlinenews.jpg
From: Headline News (single); Year: 1994; Genre: Parody/Alternative Rock
Okay, it's theme week time! I've been wanting to do this one for a long time now and finally I'm getting around to it.
For this theme week I am featuring songs that "Weird Al" has either changed or some could say perhaps ruined for me. In other words, when I hear the original all I can think of is his parody lyrics.
I'm starting this one out with one that I've been hearing on the radio a lot lately, the original, that is. For those not acquainted with this song, it is a parody to The Crash Test Dummy's hit Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm, which can be found here on YouTube. Anyway, when the original came on the radio I started to sing along with, but, as with most of his parody lyrics, "Weird Al's" lyrics are quite sticky and thus it was easier to remember his version instead.
As the title of the song suggests he based it on popular news stories at the time: Michael Fay's caning in Singapore, Tonya Harding's hired attack on rival figure skater Nancy Kerrigan's knee, and finally, Lorena Bobbitt's infamous castration of her husband. From what I understand "Weird Al" has since updated the stories to more recent pop cultural happenings.

Watch the music video on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Simon & Garfunkel - Richard Cory

My song pick two years ago today: The Doors - Waiting for the Sun

My song pick three years ago today: Black 47 - Funky Céilí (Bridie's Song)

My song pick four years ago today: Duran Duran - Planet Earth

My song pick five years ago today: Jethro Tull - Rocks on the Road


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade